Monday to Friday
7am to 4pm
Telephone: 5450 9252
The Day Surgery Unit provides pre and post-operative care for patients that do not need to stay overnight in the hospital. A range of day procedures are performed:
- Endoscopies (gastroscopy & colonoscopy)
- Local anaesthetic procedures (eg removal of large skin lesions or carpal tunnel release)
- Minor gynaecological procedures
- Eye surgery (eg cataracts)
- Minor general procedures
- Dental surgery (children over 8 years)
Occasionally patients need to have an unplanned overnight stay after their procedure and if this occurs you will be transferred to a ward bed in the acute ward.
Information for patients
What to bring with you to hospital
- Your Medicare/Pension/DVA/Health Care Card
- Private Health Insurance membership number/card
- Work Cover or TAC information with employer details and claim number if applicable
- Referral letters
- Current medications
Do not bring any valuables into hospital including jewellery and money.
What to wear
- Loose comfortable clothing
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Remove all makeup and nail polish
- Remove all body piercings and jewellery
No food for 6 hours before admission time. Clear fluids up to 2 hours before admission time.
After your procedure
If you have a procedure performed under a general anaesthetic or intravenous sedation, you MUST have a family member or support person drive you home from hospital and stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure.
If you do not have a carer please notify the Theatre Liaison Nurse on 5450 9219 on Mondays.
The anaesthetic drug will affect you for up to 24 hours, therefore, for the first 24 hours after surgery DO NOT:
- Drink alcohol
- Sign any legal documents
- Drive a vehicle
- Operate heavy machinery
A script may be written by your doctor which you will have to purchase from the chemist.